• February 27Yearbooks on Sale $45. See Mr. Williams in room 243

ECISD Teacher Signs New Book Deal with Kendall Hunt Publishing

Junella Rose M., Staff Reporter

Heritage Journalism teacher Damoine Williams is set to sign a new book deal with Kendall Hunt Publishing in June.  After pitching his research ideas to Kendall Hunt representatives, Williams was thrilled when he was notified that Kendall Hunt was interested in becoming his publishing company.  This news comes just two months after Williams received acceptance into the doctoral program in applied demography at the University of Texas at San Antonio for the fall 2017 semester.

For the past two years Williams has served in the role of journalism teacher at Heritage Middle School and has since become well known throughout the student population of the campus and the East Central District. Mr. Williams is one of the many teachers here in East Central , but just labeling him as “teacher” is an understatement.

When not working with students in East Central, Williams serves in his role as an Adjunct Criminal Justice Instructor with St. Philip’s College here in San Antonio.  It is here where Williams conducts the bulk of his social science research as he currently instructs numerous courses in the criminal justice field to include Fundamentals of Criminal Law and Introduction to Criminal Justice.

Mr. Williams seen here instructing an Introduction to Criminal Justice course at St. Philip’s College. Williams has served in the role as Adjunct Criminal Justice Instructor for the college since 2016.

“Having the opportunity to become a published writer has always been a dream of mine ever since high school.  I hope that my journalism students look up to me as a role model and as an example that hard work truly does pay off.  Having the ability to express yourself in a way that impacts other people is one of the most powerful tools one has at their disposal.  When my students write exceptional news, feature or editorials I know that the concepts they have learned in my class will set them up for success in their futures.” stated Williams.

Other than being an instructor, Mr. Williams is also a student. As mentioned earlier, Williams plans to attend a doctoral program in applied demography at UTSA this upcoming fall. Mr. Williams first started his research in the criminal justice field at Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin, Tennessee where he received his associate’s degree in 2011. He later graduated in 2014 from the University of Cincinnati with a Master of Science degree in Criminal Justice.   

“Never did I imagine I would have the opportunity to study at the doctoral level. When I met with the director of the demography program at UTSA last summer I knew this program was the right one for me.  I have always been a fan of data analytics and the ability to use data to predict crime trends,” comments Mr. Williams about his education.

Williams is set to begin production in June on his first book titled, “Perspective 210, An Inside look at crime mapping across San Antonio”.

“Eventually I would like to move up in the field of academia into a Professor of Criminal Justice position at a prestigious university such as Baylor or Texas Christian University (TCU).  Crime mapping and environmental criminology is a major area of research for me and I am confident that opportunities will come my way upon completion of my doctrine.” stated Williams.

Students and staff are wishing Mr. Williams the best as he embarks on his new journey.  We are looking forward to seeing the finished product and are truly proud that he is representing the East Central community.