Tue. Mar 2nd, 2021

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

Kansas City Chiefs take first loss at the hands of the Pittsburgh Steelers

2 min read

Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell was able to exploit Kansas City's rushing defense on the way to a Steelers 19 to 13 victory.

The Kansas City Chiefs hosted the Pittsburgh Steelers last Sunday October 15th in Kansas City falling short in the 4th quarter attempting the nine point comeback.

The 5-0 Chiefs started very slow against the 3-2 Steelers at home. Going into the 4th quarter trailing twelve to three, they cut into the lead with a 57-yard touchdown reception by wide receiver D’anthony Thomas from quarterback Alex Smith, Then, just needing a defensive stop for two yards on 3rd down the Chiefs gave up a touchdown to Steelers receiver Antonio Brown, pushing the Steelers lead to 19-10. The Chiefs would respond with a 33-yard field goal cutting the Steelers lead to six with a score of 19-13.

With 2 minutes left the Chiefs defense stopped the Steelers offense and was able to give the ball back to Alex Smith and company for a final drive. Despite efforts by the Chiefs offense to mount a closing touchdown, the Chiefs fell in the end with the final score being 19 to 13. The Chiefs fell to 5-1 on the season but still lead the AFC west division.  

“We just didn’t execute at all”, says quarterback Alex Smith of the Chiefs in a press conference following the game.

Kansas City’s last drive to tie the game with the Steelers was crushed by linebacker James Harrison on 3rd and 10 with a 9-yard sack putting the Chiefs at 4th and 19 with one last chance to tie but ended with an incomplete pass by Alex Smith intended for D’anthony Thomas.

“It took a total team effort”, says running back for Pittsburgh Le’veon Bell.

The Kansas City Chiefs will be heading to Oakland next Sunday looking for another win against the 2-4 Raiders,while the Steelers will be hosting the 2-3 Cincinnati Bengals Hope you enjoy those exciting games!

More Stories