Tue. Mar 2nd, 2021

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

Is Social Media Affecting Teenagers Self-Esteem

2 min read

Many parents worst nightmare is exposure to social media too early in life.  Some people believe that social media and texting have become so integral to teenage life and also, are promoting anxiety and lowering self-esteem.  

Many people believe that social media leads to increased feelings of depression, anxiety, poor body image, and loneliness. Also, many kids with the social media devices either occupy all their time by using their devices in school when their not supposed to, or staying up late when their not allowed to. One main thing that children do is procrastination, which could be one major effect from electronics.  

“Social media is like a drug, you get addicted and it separates you from what’s important,” Hanna Riedel said.

In our generation, modern teens are learning to do most of their communication over screen.  It has definitely created a barrier to clear communication . Screens are influencing and changing our teens everyday life more and more.  As people spend hours and hours looking at a screen showing fiction, their just moving further from reality.

“I feel that social media impacts kids in a negative way because it takes away a lot of their time and is not really filtered so inappropriate things might be seen by kids,” Josie Johnson stated.  

“It could be bad depending on what social platforms they are using, not all of them are good but not all are bad so it just depends on which one they use,” Amber Parker stated.

We all know devices help everybody stay in touch with friends or family, but now social media has spread to politics, business, world culture, education, careers, innovation and more.  Social media has had a bad impact on the people in the world. With the adults doing things on devices, the kids will then think it’s okay to do the things the adults do.