Tue. Oct 27th, 2020

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

Syria Bombing

2 min read

Smoke billows in the distance following reported air strikes on the southern Syrian city of Daraa on February 22, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / MOHAMAD ABAZEED

On Friday April 13, 2018 the United States along with France and Britain bombed Syria. They decided one week before to bomb Syria because of the decisions Syria had made. Syria has decided to use chemical weapons against civilians outside of Damascus, killing at least 42 adults and children. After the bombing, President Donald Trump promised to exact a “big price” on the Assad regime.

The U.S. and its allies deliberated a response over the following week. Then on Friday night, the countries hit three targets. Syria had chemical weapons programs. They had a research center, a storage facility, a equipment facility, and a command post.

The strike hit at the “heart” of Syria chemical weapon program. Syria could reconstitute its program and the strikes didn’t take out all of Syria’s chemical weapons facilities, this means Assad could use chemical weapons on civilians again in the future.

President Donald Trump said the U.S. was “prepared to sustain this response until the Syrian regime stops its use of prohibited chemical agents.” Secretary of Defense James Mattis gave a different assessment.” Right now, this is a one-time shot, designed to set back the Syrian war machine’s ability to produce chemical weapons.”

There are still concerns because this bombing is not going to stop Assad but it is actually going to make them work faster to attack back. It’s unclear if the U.S. will bomb Syria again if Assad’s forces use chemical weapons once more. Does this mark the beginning of our next war?