Tue. Nov 24th, 2020

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

Marvel’s Black Panther

2 min read

Black Panther is very significant for many reasons. It’s a movie about what it means to be black in both America, Africa, and more broadly in the world. Rather then blocking things about race and identity , this movie grabs head-on with issues affecting modern Black life. Black Panther is very entertaining filled with lots of comedy and lots of action.

Director Ryan Coogler tells TIME this movie tackles another important genre: “Superhero films that deal with issues of being of African descent”. Barely any movies have genres about African Americans. This movie is officially a one billion dollar hit and made box office history beating the previous record held by the 1997 smash hit Titanic.

“It is a very good movie with lots of cool action scenes.” stated Destiny Parker (7th)

You might say that this African nation is a fantasy”, says Boseman , who portrays T’Challa in the movie. “But to have the opportunity to pull from real ideas , real places and real African concepts and put it inside of this idea of Wakanda – that’s a great opportunity to develop a sense of what that identity is especially when you’re disconnected from it”.

This movie is number one because it is a very good movie and I recommend it if you like comedy, action, and entertainment. The movie also features award winning actor Michael B. Jordan who co-stars in the role of the Black Panther.  Overall the movie displays powerful messages on race, culture and humanity while providing exceptional action and entertainment for all ages.