Wed. Oct 16th, 2019

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

Donald Trump’s Potential Future Meeting with Iran, and the Alternatives to it.

3 min read

Garrett V.-Photojournalist

Recently, there have been several drone strikes that have occurred over the weekend on Saudi oil fields. They have knocked out over half of the nation’s oil capacity, which is roughly 5 million barrels of oil a day. This is a devastating blow to the economy of Saudi Arabia, since its main profit is the oil industry and its exports to nations like the United States, which heavily relies on those exports. The people claim to be behind this are Yemen’s Houthi rebels, but the arms that were used for the attack were Iranian, and the strikes didn’t come from Yemen, so what’s the deal?

The United States President Donald Trump has been a bit mixed on this issue for a lack of a better term. He says he has been trying to plan out peace talks, like how he said, “No preconditions. If they want to meet, I’ll meet. Anytime they want.’’ Later he tweeted, “The Fake News is saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, ‘No Conditions.’ That is an incorrect statement (as usual!).” Also, after Rouhani criticized Trump and said “Do not play with the lion’s tail” “To Iranian President Rouhani: Never ever threaten the United States again or you will suffer the consequences the like of few throughout history have never suffered before. We are no longer a country that will stand for your demented words of violence and death. Be cautious!” despite the fact that he and the Defense Department are very reluctant to get into a conflict with Iran.

When on state television last Tuesday morning, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said, “Iranian officials will never talk to America …. this is part of their (U.S.) policy to put pressure on Iran … their policy of maximum pressure will fail,” 

The US has been evaluating certain options for a strike against Iran, whether it be a cyberattack or a physical one against Iranian oil fields, which might lead to a Saudi attack along with the US’s. The US could use some alternative targets, like missile launch sites, or bases and assets that belong to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which are Iran’s elite military unit that takes a lot of blame for Iran’s foreign paramilitary operations. Despite that, there is very little support of a military response in the government, which rules out the chances of a few alternatives. 

The response in Europe has been poor, but they haven’t pinned the blame on Iran just yet. One European official has stated that Iran was likely responsible, but they haven’t quite yet pinned the blame on them yet, and are still looking over the evidence to make sure that their suspicions are correct. Their reaction to Trump’s responses to the attacks has been mostly confusion.

Recently, there has been emerging evidence that Iran is responsible for this, but this debate is an extremely recent one, so there might be statements that negate all the arguments that have been stated, so there should be more debates as certain events occur.