Tue. Mar 2nd, 2021

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

What really is anxiety?

2 min read

Raven C. – Photojournalist 

Do you ever wonder what really causes anxiety and why does it make you feel so worried? Some say it’s caused by environmental and external factors, or its caused by the death of a loved one. People with anxiety worry and fear about everyday situations, some have repeated episodes of sudden feelings of intense anxiety or terror that reach within minutes that can cause panic attacks. Feelings of anxiety can interfere with daily activities, and be difficult to control.

Everyone has feelings whether there the same or different. The type of feelings you get from anxiety are usually common, like being nervous, increased heart rate, breathing rapidly, not being still, or even sleeping problems. You could also find yourself feeling restless, tense, or just feeling weak. Sense of impending danger, panicking, and trouble thinking are also some feelings or things that can happen to your body because it’s not just emotional, its physical too. You think your mind is making you feel like that and is playing tricks on you. Anxiety can be described as a response to a future or a possible threat. Anxiety fills your mind when you have repressed your emotions for an extended period of time. It is usually caused by repressed fears about your future and how you relate to the future. There are 6 main types of anxiety like generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, panic attacks, specific phobias, agoraphobia, post traumatic (PTSD), and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). You can take antidepressants and anxiolytics can also lower anxiety. If you don’t treat your anxiety, your brain will forget how to calm down and your anxiety can lead into more serious anxiety, some can be as serious as suicide or self harming. Long term anxiety and panic attacks can cause your brain to release stress. Life experiences such as traumatic events appear to trigger anxiety. Inherited traits can also be a cause such as brain chemistry, being stressed, life events and even medical conditions. Can anxiety change your personality? While it’s not a change you can see, obviously you might feel these changes in form of increased anxiety, or other mental health issues such as depression. Words you should never say to a person who has anxiety is “calm down” or “it’s really not a big deal” because if you don’t have anxiety, you don’t know how they feel, and one can really relax on command.

Some anxieties are a normal part of life. The causes of them are not fully understood. Causes probably won’t ever be understood. Could we be apart of something bigger and not know it? The most important part of a body is the heart and what follows is the mind. Are we feeling what we feel or feeling how other people make us feel?