Wed. Feb 19th, 2020

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

Comedy Legend John Witherspoon dies at 77

2 min read

Garrett V.- Photojournalist

John Witherspoon, a famous actor that starred in at least 28 films, passed away on the 29th of October in his home. He was primarily known for his role as the father in ‘Friday’ and several other films.

John Witherspoon seen here on the set of “Next Friday” with Ice Cube and Mike Epps.

“It is with deepest sorrow that we can confirm our beloved husband and father, John Witherspoon, one of the hardest working men in show business, died today at his home in Sherman Oaks at the age of 77,” stated his family. “We are all in shock, please give us a minute for a moment in privacy and we will celebrate his life and his work together. John used to say “I’m no big deal,’ but he was huge deal to us.”

Witherspoon was born in Detroit, Michigan, and started his career as a stand-up comedian, but is arguably most remembered for his role as Ice Cube’s dad in the ‘Friday’ films. He has also starred in several sitcoms, like in ‘The Wayans Bros’ as John “Pops” Williams or as “Spoon” on “The Tracy Morgan Show”

“I’m sad. Broken. Hurt… yet extremely grateful to God that I got to spend 5 years of my life working with one of the funniest sweetest wisest humblest loving men,” Marlon Wayans wrote on Instagram, as a tribute to his TV dad. “Thank you God for the many many many laughs that we shared on and off the set.”

Witherspoon will be missed in the comedy community for his historic roles and his charismatic personality. We truly lost a legend this week.