Sat. Jan 25th, 2020

HMS Hurricane Watch

Student Media of East Central Heritage Middle School

Popeyes Chicken Sandwich is making a Comeback!

2 min read

Emily R. -Photojournalist

Popeyes announced Monday that it will reintroduce the chicken sandwich that, for a brief moment this summer, united America. The sandwich is expected to return on Nov. 3. A  spokeswoman said the sandwiches would be available only at locations within the United States starting Sunday. During the two weeks of sales, Popeyes sold about 1,000 chicken sandwiches per store each day, doubling its store traffic. Popeyes’ spicy chicken sandwich is coming back as a permanent menu item.

Popeyes has been taking the endeavor seriously: It spent three years painstakingly researching what consumers like and testing out different options. Popeyes responded to a tweet from Chick-fil-A which it perceived as a dig, and the sassy comeback went viral. Popeyes seems to be angling for another spat with Chick-fil-A.  The chain is also taking out full-page ads in the New York Times, New Orleans Advocate and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Franchise owners had tipped their hand about the sandwich’s comeback last week, but the fast-food chain only confirmed the nationwide return in the Monday press release.

Popeyes debuted an advertisement for the sandwich’s return that takes aim at its now-competitor “Chick-fil-A”. The sandwich, which most fast-foodies are very much aware of at this point, was released in August and sold out two weeks later. For those unfamiliar, the sandwich at the center of this controversy features a breaded chicken filet on a brioche bun, with pickles and either mayo or spicy Cajun spread. It is truly a treat and fans are waiting for it’s return.